Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Humor of I Can Has Cheezburger?

I Can Has Cheezburger? is a blog that posts funny pictures of cats with even funnier captions. My favorite post today is a picture of a black cat with the caption: "In basement...nobody hear u scream." If you look closely, you can see a black and white cat in the corner of the picture with its mouth wide open. When I saw this post, I got a good laugh out of it. Not everyone gets the humor, so I will attempt to explain it.

I have a dog named Sandy, and he does some weird things. For example, after he finishes eating, he rubs his face on the furnisher. I have always wondered why he does that. Is he trying to clean his face? Or is it something else? What is going on in that mind of his? I Can Has Cheezburger? tries to get into the mind of people's pets. The captions are supposed to be the thoughts of the pet.

The captions are never in perfect English, because animals don't understand much English. They only know certain commands, like "sit," "heal," and of course "cookie!" Since their English is not that good, their thoughts in English won't be that good either. I think the imperfect English only adds to the humor.

The captions generally focus on food, which pet owners know their pet seems to be obsessed with. Whenever you have food, your pet will beg for it. Your pet will beg with such intensity as if you have never feed him or her. You know that is not the case. So you wonder, Does my pet have a bottomless pit? Maybe... Or maybe my pet just really likes food that's not in the form of kibble? I can't blame him or her. The kibble doesn't look that tasty.

People care what their pets are thinking, because they see them as members of their family. Pets are seen as people with their own personalities, habits and quirks. However, they often do things that most people wouldn't dare do, because they have no concept of decorum. It is those antics that brighten our day.

Whenever I'm having a bad day, I sometimes go to the site to get a good laugh in. I have found laughing always makes me less stressful. It was as if Sandy was with me at that moment, and not hundreds of miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment