Tuesday, March 24, 2009

My Own Encounter with Corporate Media

Right now I'm looking for an internship for this summer. I applied to several places, and I got called by the New Jersey Herald. The person I spoke to asked me when I could start working and if I would be able to get school credit for the internship. I thought, Great! I got an internship. Not so fast.

When I called to set up a meeting to meet with the managing editor, I was told that the internship would have to be approved by the corporation that owns the paper. That corporation is located in Illinois! The corporation is not sure that it wants non-paid interns due to legal reasons. It's worried about being sued. Yet the New Jersey Herald can't pay me either, because its losing money. It's a catch-22.

I was told that I would find out if the internship was approved of on the week of March 15-21. That week has come and gone with no phone call. I'm guessing my chances of getting that internship is slim.

It's just frustrating, because I just want some work experience. It would be nice to get some compensation for my work, but that is not my major concern. I need to have some "real-word" media experience before I graduate from Ithaca College. I'm planning to graduate next year, so this summer is the last chance to get an internship.

It keeps getting closer and closer to the end of the school year, and I still have not secured an internship. I'm going to have to scramble to send in my application to a few indy media news outlets. In those cases I won't have to deal with corporate media. Thank goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment